Monday, August 13, 2012

Second Opinion

Please keep in mind that I am not a doctor and have no medical background. I am just writing based on my experiences and occasionally I may get things wrong.

We went to another recommended pediatric orthopedic surgeon.

Once again I sat in a big unwelcoming building waiting to hear a second opinion.  Isa as brave as usual. We both walked into the room (Jon was away on work and Max was with his uncles) and waited for the doctor.  The doctor came in and introduced himself , he was polite but I didn't feel comforted.  After a quick examination, there it was again, surgery! He unlike Dr. Vin suggested that she have surgery done on her hip since it is the bone where most of the rotation takes place.  He wouldn't be putting a cast on her but would need her to be inmoble for much longer than a month.  He also said we could try physical therapy just to make ME feel better, but it would not work for two reasons. One, that it would be trying to compensate a bone problem with a muscle.  Second, because she was a child and would not be able to give her all because she wouldn't understand it. He gave all the information very rushed and very as a matter of fact. He said that we should condsider surgery because she would not be able to have any type of active life and even things like walking or running were a struggle for her.  He also suggested that if I didn't want to do surgery than not to expose her to anything active so that later on in life she wouldn't feel like she was missing out on something because she had never been exposed to it. That made me feel very said to think that I should start blocking things from her inorder to help her not to want to participate later on in life and what about the keep your kids active stuff? I felt very discouraged after that conversation and it was obvious that he was not 100% child friendly because he used words like cut open and scar in front of my poor Isa who of course listened to every word he said. 

She left feeling very terrified about being cut open and having scars.  I managed to calm her down and asked her which doctor she liked better and she quickly responded Dr. Vin, the silly one! I felt the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment